Saturday, October 24, 2009

NaNoWriMo Prep - Voyeurism

What better way to prepare for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) which begins November 1st, than to walk through other people's backyard gardens?

This is legitimate voyeurism. Pay admission (Garden Conservatory's Open Days Garden Tour) and enjoy other people's hard work, vision, and nature. (and obviously an affinity for Skyy Vodka's blue bottles)

Highland Park, Dallas; Lakewood area, North Dallas - we followed maps and checked off the list. I really liked this sculpture, but couldn't fit it into my purse. This was research. Possible settings, potential characters - who lives in these homes? Are they happy? (My guess is yes - they are coping quite well) And if I write a murder mystery, where would I tuck the body?
Perhaps this gated door holds a clue...



This sculpture sums it up - curiousity. This quote sums up the 50,000 word task ahead:
I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork. Peter De Vries, 1957





1 comment:

  1. Joanne, thanks for the garden stroll. You are one of the best documentary photographers I know, and I am always pleased to take an armchair vacation with one of your posts. Nano will be a kick again this year. Looking forward to it! --Melissa

    ReplyDelete