Thursday, December 3, 2009

Expect the Unexpected


December 2nd in Texas and it snowed. I was stuck in traffic on I820, so I did not take a picture. Thus I'm stealing this from Linda T and Cecil - their lovely backyard patio coated in the white stuff. "No accumulation," said the weatherfolks.
Well, expect the unexpected, folks and this applies to writing. As the writer, we need to throw stuff at our readers that makes sense but that they don't anticipate. As a reader, that's the joy - turn the page and go, "Whoa! I didn't expect that."
I started to outline my NaNo novel to see what the heck I wrote in 29 days and if it was coherent after all. I did manage a few surprises and I can see where I should add a few more twists. Plus it's amusing to see where I drifted - names changed or people were in two places at one time without the benefit of time travel.
This is definitely an adventure. Will it snow in August in my book? Hmmm......

No comments:

Post a Comment