Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Ahead to Waterfront Reads

Spring arrived, albeit with snow, but let's ignore that fact and revel in the thought of a pier, wooden deck chair, or sand and a beach umbrella. Let's contemplate spring/summer reading. The Book Lover by Cynthia Crossen is one of my new favorite columns (WSJ 3/19/10). Here's one thing she had to say, "On the beach, however, I like being interupted by the ocean, so I want a book into which I can dip, daydream, dip,etc."
She recommends The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher, Becoming Strangers by Louise Dean, and Stone's Fall by Iain Pears.

Then again, according to Ms.Crossen, critic Anatole Broyard wrote, "The thought of people reading in the sun, on a beach, tempts me to recommend dark books, written in the shadow of loneliness, despair, and death. Let those revelers feel a chill as they loll on their towels." For that she suggests, Blackwater by Kerstin Ekman - a grisly murder mystery.



Enough of snow and winter and rainy, drab dreary weather. Let's think about sunshine, blue water, and summer reads. Or sitting on a rock and staring into space.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely pictures. If I remember correctly, the Shell Seekers was based in Cornwal which you know is my favorite English county.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete