Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Partake of Poetry

The poetry anthology What Have You Lost? , edited by Naomi Shihab Nye (1999), caught my eye at the library. She is a superb poet and has a passion for other poets. Hence her collections. The stunning photographs by Michael Nye enhance the experience. The poems in this book are haunting, thought-provoking, and accessible. Here is one stanza by Chris Pealer, from his poem Devotion (page 20):

"sadness is a moat of dark water
a tangle of briars no one can cross
sadness a habit of sackcloth you wear
in devotion to the god of loss"

I finished his poem and had to close the book for awhile, before returning to read other fantastic material.


After reading the above anthology, I feel humbled by my Fifth Honorable Mention in the National Federation of State Poetry Societies 2010 Contest. But, hey, I received this pretty certificate for She Knew. Now I need to cast my words into the wind to get published.

Ms.Nye, are you looking for new material?

No comments:

Post a Comment