Thursday, July 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad: My Writing/Editing Hero

Getting old ain't for sissies - Bette Davis

George Lewis Crowther, born July 15, 1931, is my father and my hero. He is still my spellchecker/editor and will politely email me any blog corrections. He trundles to the gym daily, mows his own yard, climbs steps to retrieve items upstairs, and hauls laundry downstairs to his basement. He works the New York Times crossword puzzle (in pencil, not pen), mails me amusing cartoons, and runs errands with his older sister. Dessert at every meal is the key to happiness.


My father gained his love of cars from his father, who died at a young age. My dad fondly recalls hanging at a local garage, hearing car discussions and debates. To this day, he takes the train with friends to the Philly Auto Show, hops in and out of shiny vehicles, and gathers brochures. Call him in for car negotiations - he can finagle a bargain.

An old man in a house is a good sign - Hebrew saying



Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter - Satchel Paige.

Dad married his high school sweetheart, Juanita Shutters. They showed us kids - me, David, and Lori - how to be happily married. Truly, a respectful couple who worked together to build a really nice life. Mom's been gone close to twenty years now. Dad's maintained the house, done some redecorating, and stays up really late (that's his one bold break from life with Mom).





Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been - Mark Twain

Lots of smiles through the years. His work ethic, family ethic, and a sunny disposition have garnered good friends and good times. Emails replace phone calls, but the laughter zooms through the air. I'm very fortunate to say Happy Birthday, Dad! and to wish him good health for many years to come.

The family with an old person in it possesses a jewel - Chinese saying

We are rich beyond compare.
(not that you're old yet, Dad)

Cheers!

1 comment: