Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tony Cragg: Seeing Things

Tony Cragg: Seeing Things is a collection of thirty pieces of sculpture at the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas. Seeing things, indeed. These hard to miss dramatic pieces of wood, stone, bronze, and more are fantastic. Mr.Cragg's first exhibit was in 1979, and he's still exploring shapes, materials, and concepts - stretching the boundaries of space and form.


Kids would have a blast if they were allowed to crawl through this sculpture. It was tempting.



Mr.Cragg: What I think is important for me is something different: a sculptural quality that doesn't emulate time.....there is some sense of passage, there is a sense of flow, there is an intuition of flow in the sculpture.



and another view. It had been a gray dreary day, but our time at the Nasher was sunny, adding reflections, extending the flow of the piece with shadows.



I love the energy and movement in his pieces. I would not get tired of viewing his work. Indeed, each angle offers a different way of seeing things.

2 comments:

  1. I don't normally like modern art but those are intriguing.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Cragg was born in the UK. The indoor pieces made with wood were fabulous. I had to put my hands in my pockets to not touch them.

    ReplyDelete