Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Maverick Speaker Series

The University of Texas at Arlington hosts the Maverick Speaker Series. The goal is a dynamic forum allowing speakers to examine ideas, actions, and issues. Insight and entertainment in a college atmosphere broadens horizons.

Back in November 2012, Ray and I enjoyed seeing comedian/writer Seth Meyers. In his eleventh season at Saturday Night Live, Meyers anchors the Weekend Update. His pithy comments, pauses, and impish grin lampoon our world and also raise awareness with humor.

Generous with his time, Seth Meyers gave a 1-1/2 hour comedy routine. He regaled us with SNL stories, commented on the ridiculousness of video gaming, and was happy that Texas was not seceding from the union. "I'd hate for Friday Night Lights to be in the foreign film section." He gently poked fun at Governor Perry, Texas, and the whole political scene.

Whether in his presentation or the follow-up Q&A, Meyers showed quick wit, intelligence, and all-around "sorta normal" guy on the street vibe. Seth Meyers was a worthy Mavericks speaker. Ray and I came away smiling and impressed.


http://www.uta.edu/maverickspeakers  (It is free. You just have to sign in for pre-printed tickets. First come, first serve on seating.)

3 comments:

  1. That is a long routine! I bet it was good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. I would love to visit Texas and take advantage of the offer of a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool - I'm a sucker for anything that's free. I live near a university town and they held their first literary festival last October - I managed to see a couple of things there, but usually anything that appeals to me I have to travel too far for.

    ReplyDelete