Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Birthday Month Every Month

http://thebirthdaypartyproject.org

I read a blip in a local Dallas magazine about The Birthday Party Project, and it captured my attention. I checked out the website which is very thorough, and I became more enthused over its mission.

They host kid birthday parties every month at local Women's Shelters. Cupcakes, balloons, games, music, and a lot of joy for an hour. As a volunteer I helped put up streamers, joined in a line dance (not well), and was there to chat and clean up. The lead coordinator was extremely organized with bins and the plan. I was very impressed.

The staff at the Arlington shelter were very nice and obviously cared about the attendees - the kids and the moms. The kids had a lot of fun and the one with the official birthday had a huge grin as he opened his package containing a football and a gift card.

I know I take a lot for granted in my life. Everyone should get to celebrate a birthday, but sometimes circumstances aren't right. The Birthday Party Project is working to make it possible.  Check out the website. They have been expanding to other cities - contact them if you are interested, and spread the joy of blowing out candles.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful and generous idea! I'm sure that is a day to remember for the honored child.

    ReplyDelete