Friday, November 24, 2017

Hollywood Hits

Sunday November 5th, I sat in plush seats at Bass Hall and enjoyed another Fort Worth Symphony program. I settled in when the opening John Williams notes soared - Theme from Raiders of the Lost Arc

The Hollywood Hits kept coming including a whole James Bond theme section. Very cool to hear Live and Let Die, Goldfinger, etc.

A vocalist -Kelly Levesque - sang some lovely numbers too. The guest conductor, Brian Byrne, was an Irish fellow with a pleasant manner and a good sense of humor. He talked about some of the numbers, and conducted his own theme from Albert Hobbs, a movie that starred Glenn Close.

The finale included grand movie themes - Tara's Theme from Gone With the Wind, Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago, and of course we finished with Rocky's Theme. I left the symphony ready for victory, but I had already won - my heart was filled with music.


14 comments:

  1. Ah, nothing like the Hollywood Hits Joanne. Ak favourites of mine.

    Enjoy your weekend.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a neat one to take in as you recognize all the tunes they gave a spin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a FABULOUS concert. One of the CDs I used to check out from the library as often as I could get away with it was the London Philharmonic playing Rolling Stones music. It was soooooo cool to hear the familiar songs done up "big." The library got rid of all their CDs, (Dang it!) and the last time I checked, Amazon had the symphonic Stones music CD, but it was priced ridiculously high. Guess I'll just have to enjoy it in my memories... Anyhow, I have a feeling the concert you saw was the same sort of thing. Familiar music done large.

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, nothing like live drum beats and more. You might have to spring for a symphony ticket some day

      Delete
  4. That sounds like it was an awesome concert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love GWTW and both Tara and also Lara :) not so much devoted to the JB films, but gotta love the music (and Sean Connery)! That must have been a super-pleasant way to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara's Theme just swells and you can picture her in that big gown

      Delete
  6. I love your finale to this post - cleverly worded and uplifting. It sounds like they covered lots of greats. I'm not into symphonies, but I'd enjoy this one. I'm glad you did, Joanne.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hearing familiar tunes played by the symphony. I'm not up on super classical stuff

      Delete
  7. This sounds fantastic. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure I would have too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - too bad you don't live closer. We could go together!

      Delete