Monday, December 11, 2017

Book Review - Origin by Dan Brown

It’s tough to read a Dan Brown book featuring his Professor Robert Langdon, and not imagine actor Tom Hanks running around exotic locales figuring  out the mystery. The movie is already on the pages. Origin is no different.  Edmond Kirsch is a genius billionaire and futurist who is about to make a bold announcement that will stun scientists and the world. He was a student of Langdon, and claims his breakthrough will “answer a fundamental question of human existence”.

In a huge presentation, guests are immersed in a multi-media event. But chaos erupts, there’s a murder, and the “discovery teeters on the brink of being lost forever.” (cover blurb). Robert Langdon must escape the Bilbao museum with Ambra Vidal, the museum director and fiancée to the prince of Spain, heir to the throne.  Ambra was a good friend to Edmond and now worried about a conspiracy. Key religious figures are disappearing, and perhaps the Cardinal is to blame. “Navigating the dark corridors of hidden history and extreme religion, Langdon must evade a tormented enemy.” Modern art, symbols, and the usual mumbo-jumbo lead Robert Langdon to clues to uncover answers.

Origin by Dan Brown is an amusing read. It’s breezy and skimmable, a fluff thriller that throws in a lot of blather to make it sound edgy. And it should be another chance for Tom Hanks to run around exotic locales. Thank goodness, he has job security.


13 comments:

  1. I am in the process of reading. Haven't gotten much past chapter one and the exotic museum opening. Fluff begins early and I'm trying to visualize the 'Modern Art' without much success. This will probably take me awhile...other projects seem to grab my attention...like less exotic bowl warmers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not read anything by Dan Brown. But I like light books sometimes and am reading more adult books. I may check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. start with the Da Vinci Code. That was his best fluff in my opinion

      Delete
  3. Not sure Hanks will do any more or not. Seem to get weaker with each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, as long as his check doesn't bounce, I bet he's good

      Delete
  4. I am sure I'd imagine Hanks in the part while reading this too. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found Dan Brown very hard to read. He tells good stories but he is an awful writer! He keeps repeating the same adjectives and for me his poor style gets in the way of enjoyment although I have no problem with a 'light' read in general. Eg: Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones's Diary and lots of crime fiction.
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s seasonally adjusted Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another Dan Brown book. I liked his first one, but couldn't get into his second. I wonder if this one would be any better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would like to read this but I find the movies impossible to watch. I never pictured Robert Langdon looking like Tom Hanks. I found that role to be horribly miscast. I like his book Deception point a lot though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of Brown's books. Somehow, I had the impression they were the exact opposite of fluff. I thought they were heavy, slow-moving and rather pedantic. I may have to to take another look at them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank for your very good article.! i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!

    แตกใน xxx

    ReplyDelete