Monday, January 22, 2018

Movie Review Madness - I, Tonya

I, Tonya is a hoot.  It’s a mockumentary version of the crazy shenanigans that occurred with the U.S Figure Skating program leading up to the Olympics. Tonya Harding, scrappy unconventional skater with the ability to turn axels versus the ice princess, Nancy Kerrigan.  We hear “interviews” with Tonya, played by Margot Robbie, saying she did not know anything about the plan to get Nancy out of her way. The husband, Jeff Gillooly (Sebastian Stan), is not the brightest guy in the world. His buddy and Tonya’s bodyguard, Scott, are bumbling idiots. And finally, La Vona Golden, Tonya’s mom, is brilliantly played by Allison Janney (who won a Golden Globe for this role) and she’s harsh. She pushes Tonya to excel. She smokes, drinks, curses at the rink, and is just a piece of work.

All in all, did Tonya know that Scott was going to arrange for Nancy’s knee to be whammed by a steel bar? Did Jeff really arrange for this to occur or was he just going for threats?  We’ll never know and you have to watch this film with tongue in cheek appreciation. It’s snarky and hilarious.


From a review in EW – “absurd, irreverent, piercing portrayal of a life and career in unchecked and checkered glory”.   I, Tonya proved to be a fun film to see on a cold day. 

15 comments:

  1. I was against what happened to Nancy but I always liked Tonya. She was a scrappy kid from a rough background. I found Nancy to be a bit of a snotty little princess. After her visible disappointment at winning the silver and her overheard comment at the Disney parade she was in that it was the 'corniest thing ever', I was like, 'she deserved that crack in the knee'. hahaha Alison Janney is a fantastic actress. I just howl at her in 'Mom', which is one of our fave shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone says it's a really entertaining film. I will catch it when it hits NetFlix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trust me, you'll remember my review and you'll crack up too

      Delete
  3. Hi Joanne - I've seen this around ... but not sure I'd watch it - still it's good it's been made. And am glad you've let us know about it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you might catch it on tv some day. It's funny

      Delete
  4. I'm quite relieved to read this, Joanne. I'd falsely assumed the movie glorified Tonya and/or sympathized with her. I hate the fact that she's getting more attention and money from it, but I'd mock her and hers any day.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, it's very snarky. I think you'd find it quite humorous

      Delete
  5. I've seen trailers for it, but never watched it. Will have to see it when it hits Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will make for a fun Saturday night in front of the tv

      Delete
  6. Glad you liked it. I've read other good reviews of it too. Will check it out when it comes on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good review Joanne of what looks like an excellent film.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when this all happened. I'm sure I'd enjoy seeing this one. Although, I'll probably catch it on DVD or on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete