Friday, January 18, 2019

Friday Farewell - Mary Oliver


Poet, Mary Oliver passed away yesterday at the age of 83.  She didn't write "fancy" poetry, as she called it.  She just wrote from the heart and could capture nature, life, and love with stunning imagery.  I admired her work, and fortunately, her words will live on.

Here is a stanza from  Dream of Trees  by Mary Oliver

There is a thing in me that dreamed of trees,
A quiet house, some green and modest acres
A little way from every troubling town,
A little way from factories, schools, laments.
I would have time, I thought, and time to spare,
With only streams and birds for company,
To build out of my life a few wild stanzas.
And then it came to me, that so was death,
A little way away from everywhere.



8 comments:

  1. I prefer simple poetry written from the heart over something that's fancy and highfalutin any day.

    May she rest in peace... "a little way away from everywhere"...

    Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly. I never knew I liked poetry until I read her poems. I thank a friend, Stacy, for showing me her work

      Delete
  2. The best is what comes from the heart indeed. Last line really hits home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's probably one of the few poems I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work would compliment some of your photos

      Delete
  4. Sad news. She was very talented.

    ReplyDelete