Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Movie Review Madness - Mary Queen of Scots

Scotland 1500s - Mary Stuart arrives back in Scotland to reclaim the throne from her half-brother. She's Catholic, been exiled in France, and now she's striding the moors - young, smart, strong-willed, and ready to rule.

Aye, but her cousin Elizabeth I in England is not thrilled with this power move. On both sides, the privy councils question the politics, powers, religion, and battle of two women. Who will marry? Who can produce an heir?  And nobody wants to bow to the Pope, have a Papist on a throne.

Saoirse Ronan as Mary Stuart is worthy of her Oscar nomination. She is mesmerizing on screen.
Margot Robbie as Elizabeth I is formidable.  The balance of the cast adds depth to the film.

The costumes, scenery, cinematography, story line, and drama are excellent in Mary Queen of Scots.
This is a strong period piece film with plenty of court intrigue, power struggles, sex, violence, and conniving, bowing, and scraping.

Who shall wear the crown?


11 comments:

  1. A great subject for a review that you enjoyed watching.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanne - I loved the film ... saw it on Monday. I'm sure it's not 100% accurate - but it was very evocative ... and yes Saoirse Ronan is very good indeed. Delightful landscapes ... the film impressed me. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not up on my history but it seemed like they at least based it on some facts. Glad you agree.

      Delete
  3. Since I've been to Edinburgh and know a lot of history about her, I'd like to see this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's compelling...good date movie for you and the missus

      Delete
  4. Sounds good, but it doesn't sound like my hubby's kinda movie. But this past Tuesday was his birthday, and we went to the movies and saw "Aquaman." Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this one, but I'd like to. Sounds intriguing and involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a movie worthy of watching! Quality!

    ReplyDelete