Friday, September 13, 2019

Movie Review Madness - Blinded by the Light

Blinded by the Light is lightly based on a true story, and is a glorious little film with a great soundtrack. 

1987 England. Times are tough and especially for immigrant citizens. Javed (Viveik Kalra) is sixteen, Pakistani born, and chafing at the bit. Any money he earns must be turned over to his father. Any decisions are made by his father (Kulvinder Ghir). Javed is talented at writing and wants to go to university for writing. Let's see - that's a big NO.

Basically he wants to change "his clothes, his hair, his face". The lyrics of Bruce Springsteen strike at his very soul. He's given a Born to Run tape by a friend and Javed's life changes. He becomes rebellious. A teacher, Ms.Clay (Hayley Atwell),  encourages his poetry and writing. Javed likes Eliza, a white English girl, and he does sneak around to see her. He's Down by the River, Dancing in the Dark, Born to Run, etc.

Meanwhile, friendships change, but Matt's still a backbone from when they were young lads. The film shows the hardships of the times and the immigrant experience. It also shows a timeless theme - a young man yearning to break free and find himself.

Blinded by the Light was a really good small film. I loved the kid playing Javed - his soulful eyes, so innocent and smart. I was quite pleased with his journey and the outcome of the flick. And I loved the Bruce Springsteen tunes - American and yet connecting across the pond.  Go ahead - turn it up. Baby, you were born to run!

19 comments:

  1. Sounds greaT Joanne. pleased you enjoyed it.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you enjoy music - I think this one would give you joy

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It just is, and I like walking out of a theater happy.

      Delete
  3. And I ... loved your review. Sounds like a good un.

    Have a super weekend, kiddo. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. worthy of a matinee date - enjoy airconditioning, popcorn, and a feel-good flick

      Delete
  4. We just ignored the movie, but with your review it sounds better than we thought. Will see them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanne - it's a delightful story ... telling a lot about British life ... and then interesting to see how ideas came through ... writers can learn a lot. It shows creativity and perseverance at its best ... and that title 'Blinded by the Light' - yes, Springsteen's song ... but a great tag line/ metaphor ...

    You have to see Pavarotti! Even better ...

    Thankfully we're having a bit of extra summer - so beautiful days ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad we agree, and yes Pavarotti's on my list. I hope it plays at a local theater soon.
      Enjoy your late summer. Cheers to you!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good feel good movie indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds heartfelt and timely.
    Thank you, Joanne.
    I hope you're enjoying the weekend and staying out of the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if I'm in the heat, I'm in the pool. All good
      Hope you are awesome!

      Delete
  9. I think I would like this one. I know I'd love the music. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete