Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Wednesday Movie Review Madness - Licorice Pizza


 1970s San Fernando CA - the atmosphere is captured in director Paul Thomas Anderson's weird artsy film, Licorice Pizza. I still have no idea what the title means. 

Alana Haim (of the musical group Haim) plays Alana Kane, a twenty something who's drifting through jobs and life. She lives at home with her parents and sisters and has no purpose. Working as a photographer assistant for school pictures, she meets Gary Valentine (Cooper Hoffman - son of Philip Seymour Hoffman) a fifteen year old wiser than his years. The kid is a hustler - child actor, business man, charming, and has a big personality. 

He persists in asking her out. She resists due to the age, but she really has nothing else going  on. They are sorta friends. The movie is an assortment of mini-vignettes that just move along. It's funny, quirky, and odd. Nothing really happens and yet, against the backdrop of the 70s, life lessons, life laughs, just life and love happens. 

Good acting and atmosphere. I'm glad I saw it for my five bucks. But then again, I like weird little movies. And that's my review. 

4 comments:

  1. The past , wow. I love the slice of life movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a bit slow and odd, but I liked nuggets of it

      Delete
  2. Hi Joanne - I've heard this is a fun movie - I'm sure I'll get to see it someday ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's odd, hence my mixed review. Prob. good for Netflix. Hope you're having a good weekend

      Delete