Saturday, June 18, 2011

Self Discipline

Whining. A lot. We're on day fifty of over 100 degrees. Oh, I exaggerate. It only seems like fifty days, but it's been at least a week. We (Texas - DFW area) start our morning headed to work and it's 80 degrees. Step outside in the evening for a "breath of fresh air" and the hot hair dryer effect is wicked. It's 90 after 9 pm and it's only June.

I use the heat as an excuse for everything. Too hot to mow. Too hot to go to the grocery store. I flop on the couch and swoon. I float in the pool, but then worry about skin cancer even after slathering myself in sunscreen number 45 - practically using a spatula to apply it.

Traffic's been awful and by the time I get home I'm not in the mood to face the computer to write. Bad, Joanne. This is usually an August state of mind, not June, and I must overcome this slothful attitude.

What it lies in our power to do, it lies in our power not to do - Aristotle He must have spent some time in Texas heat.

Right discipline consists, not in external compulsion, but in habits of mind which lead spontaneously to desirable rather than undesirable activities - Bertrand Russell

I feel better having written this post. This is creation. I can accomplish more. Crank the air conditioner down another degree and heat up the keyboard. Self-discipline is my mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment