Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Vacation - Asheville, NC & Biltmore

Biltmore, in Asheville, North Carolina is a destination vacation. Two hundred fifty rooms - the tour covers forty-four of the most breathtaking peeks into another life. George Vanderbilt's dream began in 1895. It took six years, over one thousand men, twelve hour days, and a vision. This place is fabulous, and George Vanderbilt loved to read so there are books everywhere, in almost every room (except the basement 70,000 gallon pool).


The attention to detail and craftsmanship is superb.

Wealth is not without its advantages and the case to the contrary, although it has often been made, has never proved widely persuasive - John Kenneth Galbraith

I have visited castles in France. Mr. Vanderbilt was inspired by his trips to Europe, and frankly, I think he outdid the castles in France.


I love grotesques. This house has something to look at with every turn. We took the special Architect Tour and were treated to amazing details. The views. Mr.Vanderbilt originally bought 125,000 acres. His landscape designer, Mr. Frederick Law Olmsted (created Central Park in New York) envisioned a vista, with every nook and cranny filled with eye candy. I shall have a garden post later.


Our vacation was refreshing. Asheville is a lovely town and shall have its own post. In the meantime, I'm checking my genealogy - surely I have Vanderbilt blood somewhere in my past.












1 comment: