Monday, November 17, 2014

Book Review: The Bone Clocks


I gave up on The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.  I did not even skip to the last chapter and read it, and I was two thirds through the book. I flat out did not care.

I had concerns when I signed up for this at the library. I never read Cloud Atlas (supposedly genius book), but I had tried to watch that movie from Netflix and gave up on it. It was a confusing mess. Hmm. Do you see a pattern? However, movies from some books don't translate well, so I was willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt.

Oh well. I actually liked the first bit and was interested in the Holly Sykes character. I thought, "Okay, this is going to be interesting." Then we leaped to some weird shit (excuse the language) and I had a WTF feeling.

There's psychic phenomena, time jumpers, people who host others, some Constantine character - not sure if bad or good, and they "all have a part in this surreal, invisible war on the margins of the world."  (cover blurb)

The writing was fine - it was the whole jump around plot and weirdo factor.  Maybe I just wasn't smart enough to grasp the author's intent. I like challenges, but I did not accept The Bone Clocks mess.

Consider yourselves warned.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with this one. Sounds like one I can skip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that's a shame. This is one I've thought about buying, but perhaps I'll borrow it first. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back again, as blogger ate my comment a few days ago. Since we usually have the same taste in movies and poetry (thus far you've been too kind to tell me otherwise, though I'm still a poet in training), it's safe to say I will skip this book. I appreciate your honesty about the book, not about my poetry!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete