Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Book Review - Trust Exercise by Susan Choi

1980s suburban America - at a school for performing arts, David and Sarah fall in love, but with all the issues that adolescence brings. Between family life, academic pressures, interesting dynamics and interference from the drama teacher - Mr. Kingsley, and economic issues, there's a "spiral of events that catapults the action forward in time and flips the premise upside down. What the reader believes to have happened to David and Sarah and their friends is not entirely true - though it's not false either." (cover blurb)  The final coda reveals truths.

Let's put it this way. I was interested, then confused, and then had to read the coda twice to say WTF.

Susan Choi's Trust Exercise is a challenge to read. Her characters are deep, her writing rather intellectual, and the plot line can be circular.  I got this from the library based on a good review. I am glad I did not pay for this book. My head hurt when I finished it. So much for trust....

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear Joanne if you found it difficult then I won't even try. Loved the post.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. Sometimes a book just isn't quite right

      Delete
  2. haha maybe the goal was to make your head hurt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, So I'll pass on this one. My head hurts enough without reading some convoluted book...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh, sounds like it was a disappointing experience. I believe I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete