Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Book Review - Normal People by Sally Rooney

Lots of buzz on this book and writer. Young, wise, and in tune with the times. Indeed, Sally Rooney's writing is quite good and I can see where she does have a grasp of the younger generation. However, for me, that did not make these people interesting. Yet, maybe, that's what does make them "normal."

Whiny, self-absorbed, and often annoying, Connell and Marianne have a secret relationship that isn't that big a secret. He's popular,a football star, and smart. She's lonely, smart, and strange. He's poor and is mother works at Marianne's house. Marianne's rich but doesn't flaunt it, yet there is that class distinction - stuff she takes for granted.

They strike up an intense relationship in high school and he seems to be her rock.

A year later, at Trinity College in Dublin, Marianne is in her element - a niche with friends and a cool aura. Connell's back being a small fish in a big pond. The two clash, connect, and veer into deeper corners.

Normal People was easy to put down. I never rooted for these two, whether apart or together, and their friends were a drag too. I'm in the minority in regards to reviewing this book. Every other review I read gushed about Ms.Rooney's perception and the brilliance of her character relationships.
Yawn.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - maybe it's an Irish / English thing ... but I won't read it to find out! It's gone into a tv series with Hulu - don't know which tv set up that is ... but obviously people are taken with it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - I guess I'm just not part of the "in crowd". I'm okay with that

      Delete
  2. A good honest review Joanne. Don't think I will purchase it.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes characters just don't mesh with the reader indeed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I trust your opinion. I think I will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the writing is good. It just didn't connect with me.

      Delete
  5. It is good not to always go with the crowd. That is what makes us different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fortunately for the author she has many other followers and is making a good living. She's "hot" on the charts.

      Delete
  6. I trust your judgment, so I'll pass on this one, too.

    ReplyDelete