Monday, August 12, 2019

Friday Film Frolic and Loaded Fries

Finished work early on Friday. Came home and nabbed Ray - off to Alamo Drafthouse movie theater for a full fun 3:15 pm film frolic. This theater chain is pricey but I'd been wanting to check it out. Nice! And I'm not big on food service in theaters, but this was part of the Friday plan - share a super good snack - loaded queso fries (OMG, Yummy) and two Alamo draft root beers.

We settled in for the ridiculousness that is the Fast & Furious series. Hobbs & Shaw is crazy town entertainment with Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham snarling at each other, but saving the world. Car chases, a killer virus, super cool villain (Idris Elba) with a snazzy motorcyle, London, Russia, Samoa, Shaw's sister played by Vanessa Kirby adds a kick to the action. Back in prison, Helen Mirren (head of the Shaw clan) is a briefly seen hoot. Throw in CIA "friend", Ryan Reynolds and his wacky chatter. I don't need to tell  you plot line. The stunts are amazing, the film making rocks, it's loud, it's fast, it's furious. No brain power required. Summer Friday Frolic.


***Note - in light of the various serious matter of shootings in Dayton, El Paso, etc. I do want to say that I'm not a "gun" person. Far from it. 
However, I've always been fine with mob movies, cop movies, fast & furious movies, James Bond movies - guns, explosions on the screen, etc. Just like the use of the F word these days, it can be a bit much, but I can stay that step away from the silver screen, recognize it is Hollywood film making, and not confuse "pretend" with "reality". ***

Good luck with Monday and your week, my blog friends. Stay safe (and cool!)

13 comments:

  1. Well said - all of it. Folks, it's pretend. Do not attempt to take down a helicopter with a tow truck and four cars at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appears you had a good time, pleased about that. You also have a good week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, one just needs to turn most of their brain off, just keep on the part that let's you realize it is fiction. A fun romp indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, and learn some new driving moves - yeah - flip that car!

      Delete
  4. A yummy meal in a movie theater is the best.
    And thank you for the very thoughtful disclaimer. I'm glad you're able to take escapes like this, in spite of the traumas that are close and far from home. Stay well, safe, and cheerful, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't want to seem shallow and uncaring. I just go into movies with a blank slate and "go with it". On the real live news, etc. I view violence with a different eye.
      It's a tough world these days.

      Delete
  5. I wish Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham were my buddies. I have a man crush on The Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought a 8 copy of Fast & Furious. We were recording them every time it came on.

    You cannot have Dwayne Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a fun afternoon. The fries and root beer would be a hit for me too! Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We went to see this last week and I absolutely LOVED it! Talk about over-the-top action and entertainment. Plus... the nice cool air conditioned theater was a welcome middle-of-the-day break from the Godawful heat.

    ReplyDelete