Friday, June 12, 2020

Book Review - The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Remember the Hunger Games?

Let's go back in time with The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins and see how Coriolanus Snow became the President of Panem and Katniss Evergreen's nemesis. This book is an excellent prequel.

 In the Capitol on the 10th annual Hunger Games opening, Coriolanus Snow is eighteen, prepared to be a mentor, win prizes, and bring glory to the House of Snow which has fallen on hard times.  Alas, he's in charge of Lucy Gray of District 12 - a wisp of a girl who proves cunning. She leads him on a quite a path of glory, cheating, triumph, despair, and the desire to survive.

Snow is a youth with a heart who's still learning about himself. It's interesting to read his journey and see his transformation - knowing what we know from the Hunger Games series - there are aha moments. Collins doesn't slack on The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. This is a very satisfying book and sadly, still a scary possible future world.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - love the title of this ... I've yet to see the Hunger Games ... but on reading your review reminded me of where Rider Haggard's 'She' came from ... reference to some things I've been writing up today for a Memoir class ... I really do need to read and learn more ...

    If you want to know the reference it is the Modjadji Cycad protected gardens in South Africa ... where Madjadji, the Rain Queen, went to live. Sorry rather off the beaten track ... but couldn't resist the connection via my thoughts.

    This looks fascinating ... the scary part not so! All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your off the beaten path sounds like a good trip.

      Delete
  2. Seems as though they are endless possibilities for a future world, bleak ones but also much more idyllic ones.
    Thank you for another great recommendation. Wow, you seem to read as much and as quickly as Elephant's Child. I'm impressed.

    A wonderful weekend to you and Ray, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot but don't remember at all. In one eye and out the other. This all means I'm sitting on my butt way too long. Ha!

      Delete
  3. I didn't read the Hunger Games, but I saw the movie. Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad you liked this prequel. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed both and the movies did justice to the books, but the books were better. Enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete
  4. This gives us hope we so badly need Joanne.
    Enjoyed very much.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very evocative title. Another one who hasn't watched/read the Hunger Games. Maybe once 2020 is over :) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete