Monday, June 15, 2020

Book Review - Persuasion by Jane Austen

Lest you think I'm only reading "junk" and watching Netflix all of the time, I present to you my review of Jane Austen's Persuasion - considered a  literary classic.

Is it heresy to say I found it a tad slow and frustrating to read? I'm a Jane Austen fan - Pride and Prejudice is really good. Based on that, when my PA friends book club had choices I eagerly picked Persuasion.  I do suppose it was a good book to read in this time of being rather home bound. The Elliots and assorted friends and family pretty much kill time through the whole book - walking, reading, sewing, and pining and yearning. Hoping for a proper introduction, an invitation, and such concerns over looks and manners. Arrghhh - I wanted to scream.

Then again, I realize Jane Austen was writing for her time and in bringing her observations on vanity and pretension, she truly paints a picture of fashionable society in Bath and Lyme.

p. 34 "There is hardly any personal defect (freckles)," replied Anne, "which an agreeable manner might not gradually reconcile one to."

p.141 Good company requires only birth, education, and manners.

Anne Elliott, old now at twenty seven, might have missed her chance for marriage. If only Captain Wentworth....
Now near the end of the book, a letter arrives that brings about a change of fate and fortune. Can it be love?  I suppose I softened near the end of the book and was pleased for Anne's sake that her efforts were not in vain. She was not a simpering fool, like so many of the other characters. I was persuaded. 

12 comments:

  1. I can well remember tis book from my schooldays. Was a good read then as it is today Joanne.
    Hope you're safe and well.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to read books from long ago and remember the history of that time. Glad to hear from you

      Delete
  2. This is probably my least favourite. I own it, so I'll probably read it again someday. After all, you can't just read a book once, can you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear this was not a fave from you, since you are an Austen fan.

      Delete
  3. Some books just don't hold up well. The farther away we get from those time periods the less it resonates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how sometimes it is the timing too, of when you read a book

      Delete
  4. I now worship at your feet. I can hardly read one sentence of Jane Austin. You are amazing, my friend, if not overly masochistic.
    Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. too funny. From my PA gang, Lisa LOVES Jane and so she hits us up to read her stuff.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean. The language is hard to understand. All the subtle references meant more then, but not at all now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The edition I had contained a lot of footnotes - sorta takes the fun out of the read.

      Delete
  6. This is one I haven't read. Like Robyn, I'm not sure I'm up for it. Glad you enjoyed it some by the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give you a blessing to not feel beholden. I've saved you some time!

      Delete