Monday, October 9, 2023

Monday Momentous Birthdays


 Well, yesterday October 8th, I (on the left) turned 65.  My cousin, Mark (r) turns 65 on Thursday October 12th.  This picture from September 1959 has our great grandmother - was she propping us up or were we helping her? I have no idea how old she was - folks back in the day always looked a bit "Grapes of Wrath" whether they were thirty or ninety. 

Now we are seniors on Medicare. I'm playing pickleball, doing water aerobics, and acting like I'm thirty - only recovery time takes longer. Mark hikes, bikes, and is an all around sport guy out in Oregon. 

The older I get, the faster I was -  Charles Barkley, basketball player

To me, old age is always fifteen years older than I am - Bernard Baruch, financier

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair - Douglas MacArthur, General, WWII



Still kicking with Ray and I do love birthday cake so it's worth celebrating getting older. Still have my hair, still have my teeth (albeit with help). Mentally - still young, that awkward girl who reads books. 


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and to Mark - even though he's miles away in Oregon! Have lots of fun and lots of cake ... mind you if there's only you and Ray to eat it - there'll be a fair amount!! Perhaps good for trifle in a day or two ...

    I've got a few photos of elderlies ... perhaps at some stage I should post one or two ... my father's grandmother lived to 100 dying in 1953 ... I do remember her - but I'm a bit older than you.

    Just enjoy yourselves ... and happy days to come, each and everyone!! cheers H xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much. Indeed, what is a number? A state of mind, and I am busy and happy with a good husband and lots of friends.

      Delete
  2. Hope you had a wonderful celebration! What a great photo of you as a baby.

    I love the quote from Bernard Baruch - that's exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had a lovely weekend. And I have to be careful referring to “old” because I do have some much older friends. Oops.

      Delete