Thursday, September 12, 2013

Book Review: And the Mountains Echoed


Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner, has written a remarkable book. And the Mountains Echoed  is "proof of the moral complexity of life" with its intertwined tale of siblings and families over an international backdrop. The disparity between the poor and rich in Kabul, Afghanistan contrasts with loneliness, joy, and choices made.

I really liked this book and its characters. From the cover blurb - "the story expands gradually outward, becoming more emotionally complex and powerful with each turning page." Indeed, Hosseini begins with a father telling a fable to his children. Then Hosseini himself tells us a story from that fable  - it was as if I could hear his voice as I read.

p. 24  The day's colors slowly dissolved into gray, and the distant mountain peaks became opaque silhouettes of crouching giants.

Khaled Hosseini's descriptions blended with dialogue, inner thought, and thoughtful observations enhance the reading experience. When I closed the book after the last page, I was very satisfied with the journey And the Mountains Echoed

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the Kite Runner. The writing is almost poetic with the choice of words. I think I'd probably like this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard soooo much about this book.
    I really need to get a copy.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "The Kite Runner," and am glad to see your positive review of his new book. I can't remember who it was, but another blogger wrote a less-than-stellar review on it, but based on how touched I was by the writing and story in "Kite," I can't imagine not reacting favorably to this book, too.

    ReplyDelete