Friday, April 7, 2017

Book Review - Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

Cover blurb – Writing about yourself is a funny business…But in a project like this, the writer has made one promise, to show the reader his mind. In these pages, I’ve tried to do this.  Bruce Springsteen.

Bruce Springsteen was Born to Run – in music, in his life, sometimes from himself.  Just as he gives his all on stage, in the studio, and on his recordings, he gives his all in this book. He discusses his demons, his depression, his restlessness, and his need to write and perform music. His words pour out on the page – well crafted, poetic at times, and rough and raw on other pages. I enjoyed this book a lot and I hauled out some old albums for backdrop music.

He grew up Catholic and poor in Freehold, New Jersey. Poetry, danger, and darkness fueled his imagination.  He played the bars of Asbury Park, and became beloved at the Jersey Shore. With the E Street Band, they toured, wrote, toured more, and struggled often.

p.15 I am alienating, alienated, and socially homeless…I am seven years old

p.237 There was no master plan guiding band selection beyond instinct, geography, and the power of the music once we began to play.

p. 243 describing the late Clarence Clemons-genius sax player:  He had the face of an exotic emperor, an island king, a heavyweight boxer, a shaman, a chain-gang convict, a fifties bluesman, and a deep soul survivor. It held one million secrets and none at all.   (any mention of Clemons is a joy in this book. The brotherly bond and love of music shines through. And Springsteen loved and counted on Clarence Clemons as a backbone to his life)

p. 369 on Patti Scialfa –his wife and bandmate – I was more than a song, a story, a night, an idea, a pose, a truth, a shadow, a lie, a moment, a question, an answer, a restless figment of my own and others’ imagination…Work is work..but life…is life…and life trumps art…always

If you love music, read this book. If you enjoy good writing and a glimpse into a musical poet’s soul, read this book. Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen is genuine to the core.



12 comments:

  1. Think I'll pass on this one as I'm probably the only person in the world who really dislikes his music. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, this seems an excellent book, must watch out for this in the UK.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing him on Saturday Night Years ago when he was performing Dancing in the Dark and he called Courtney Cox out from the audience to dance with him. I was (still am) married way back then, but watching him perform made my heart flutter just a bit. Always enjoyed his music. Might have to check out the book.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - that was a break through moment for her. And he was in his prime back then

      Delete
  4. I like a few of his songs, not sure enough to read it though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's on my general home turf for summertime shore points. I enjoyed all the references and I knew where he was talking about. That adds a dimension

      Delete
  5. The book sounds great, do I have to love the music before I can enjoy the autobiography of the musician? Probably not. Depends on the writing style more than the music. Just a thought.

    Here just to say hi and thanks much for all your support this A-Z.

    Best always.
    Nilanjana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no - I think you would appreciate his writing. It's just nice to have the soundtrack of his tunes in your background.
      I look forward to more A to Z from you!

      Delete
  6. I might have to read this one

    ReplyDelete