Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Wednesday With a Song

I treated myself a few Sundays ago to a symphony ticket. How glorious. As part of the Pops series, the Fort Worth Symphony presented Rodgers & Hammerstein show tunes accompanied by film clips. Basically, the symphony played and the singers on screen burst into song.

I knew them all thanks to my folks. My mother and father loved theater and show tunes and I grew up knowing Oklahoma , The King and  I, Carousel, Sound of Music, and South Pacific.  Wow - so many great songs.

If I Loved You, June is Bustin' Out All Over, There is Nothing Like a Dame, Some Enchanted Evening, Getting to Know You, Shall We Dance, Oh What A Beautiful Morning, and more....


I had a great seat in the orchestra section. The symphony did a grand job, and the clips brought back such awesome memories.  I was fortunate to actually see Yul Brynner many years ago in a touring production of the King and I  - holy cow - he commanded the stage.

Anyway, support your local musicians and go see some and hear some great tunes. I'll be going back, that's for sure.

20 comments:

  1. I loved those musicals the songs came from. I have the DVDS og most of them. Lucky you, pleased you enjoyed yourself.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful time it seemed! Admire you for going alone too.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No biggie. And I chatted with a nice lady. For a matinee time, it is easy to get in and out of Fort Worth

      Delete
  3. Hi Joanne - how lovely ... it must have a been a real treat ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/d-is-for-ducks-dabbling-diving-domestic.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You actually saw Brynner live? Now that is a treat. Glad the show brought back those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. better that others sing them, not me off key

      Delete
  6. Wow, this sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you were able to go. I would have loved it too, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. local symphonies aren't all classical all the time

      Delete
  7. I'm so impressed by how much culture you pack into your life. I must try to do more in my local area. A friend and I recently made a pact to search for things to do, but at the moment, we're still on the searching part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky living between Dallas and Fort Worth - lots of choices within 30 minute or so drives

      Delete
  8. Wow what a cool symphony program!!!!! It's been ages since I've been...probably 25 years. Saw the San Francisco Symphony present Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there's some summer symphony shows out your way (It will be warm enough to sit outside by then!)

      Delete
  9. We all need to treat our self.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a long time since I've been to a musical but my DD and I used to go to see various amateur productions and some were very good indeed (some not so!) - you've made me think about going again :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like one I would have enjoyed. Mama never went to the theater but she loved to see the musical film adaptations. Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete