Friday, December 1, 2023

Finally Friday - The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich


 I bought this 2005 book at a library sale for one dollar. Oh my - Louise Erdrich's writing is worth so much more. The Painted Drum is rich in  characters, story line, description,  and life.  I have become a fan and I'm trying to read more of  her works. 

This  book stars Faye Travers and a rare moose skin and cedar drum created by an Ojibwe artisan. She finds it at an old New Hampshire  estate descended from a North Dakota Indian agent. 

cover blurb - And so begins an illuminating journey both backward and forward in time, following  the strange passage of a powerful and yet delicate instrument, and revealing the extraordinary lives it has touched and defined. 

Erdrich explores mother/ daughter relationships, the strength of family, and grief. 

I enjoyed this book and  took my time to appreciate the writing and her respect of Native American  culture. She embodies the lyrical story telling skills of ancestors, and  also shows some current conditions of the community. Open your heart and it will  soar when reading Louise Erdrich's work. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - I must get one of her books ... it looks like she writes authoritatively re her culture ... while giving us a good story. Thanks for reminding me about her - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed she is the real deal in presenting Native American lives and issues. Great wordsmith. I think she’ll pique your interest.

      Delete