Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lucky Charm Kick Start

Franz Kafka wrote, "I had a close look at my desk just now and realized that it wasn't designed for quality writing."

I like my little corner of the house. Here's my cork/white board to my left. I pin cartoons, postcards, and jot due dates for submission deadlines.
Upper right from where I sit is a photo Ray took from the top of the John Hancock building in Chicago. It was a gorgeous day and reminds me about perspective. View plot, characters, etc from all angles.

My gargoyle guards the top of my bookshelf and ponders my every word.


This book, from the library, got me thinking about authors. Jonathan Franzen sits in his lucky squeaky office chair - it's battered and worn. Anthony Bourdain counts on nicotine. Jane Smiley uses hot water (i.e. bath or shower) to re-think plot points. Isabel Young hangs pictures of people she doesn't know - boxes bought at a yard sale. Rick Moody reads a set of "Oblique Strategies" instructional cards - writer prompts or phrases. Jonathan Lethem utilizes lists and lists of names (good idea!). And finally, Neil LaBute plays an old classic album In the Wee Small Hours by Frank Sinatra.
The lucky charms/processes must work. These authors keep cranking out quality product.
What's your talisman??


No comments:

Post a Comment