Thursday, April 5, 2012

E: Easter, Epiphany, Elmer, and Ergot





E is for Easter. Unfortunately, I've eaten all of my jellybeans. I can remember Easters in PA with sunshine,tulips, and shiny Maryjane shoes. I can also remember wearing a winter coat over my new Easter duds.


Here's my epiphany on e-books - I don't think they'll eliminate paper. I was reluctant to climb aboard the e-train, but once I published my own book (My Zoo World) I decided I should see my format and how it works out on an e-reader. Santa brought me a Kindle and I'm hooked. I've downloaded free books, 99 cent specials,etc - books I would not have considered otherwise. It's opened new horizons. I still go to the library. I still buy hardbacks. AND I enjoy my e-reads.


Elmer was my maternal grandfather. He's long gone, and I think so is the name. What's Elmer say to you? He was a kindly farmer originally from Indiana, wore suspenders, held my hand as we ambled to the five and dime in Quakertown, PA. Think about your characters' names and the time period of your story. Could Elmer, the name, make a comeback?


And now, your deadly e-dose of the day: Ergot, aka St.Anthony's fire, is a fungus parasite that infests cereal grain, especially rye. Seldom seen today thanks to cereal screening. Whew! In the Middle Ages, death by ergot was epidemic (unless you prayed to St.Anthony). Antidote - gastric lavage followed by activated charcoal. Ewww!

4 comments:

  1. Lots of diverse info in this post---and the last bit was truly ewww :D


    Look forward to your challenge run…
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    PS: pls turn off your word verification to make it easier to comment---you might consider comment moderation instead if you're unsure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come to the same sort of conclusion over ebooks. But I'm currently determined to only buy ebooks if there's no print alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the tidbits :)
    Kate
    http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that name, Elmer is a really sweet name :) Great posts with lots of little pieces of information :)

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete