Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P: Pulitzer, Purple, Poetry, and Puff Adder

P: Pulitzer Prize - I was shocked, shocked that the Pulitzer board did not award a Fiction Prize this year. What? My Zoo World by Joanne Faries....c'mon, not a winner? not even nominated? What's this world coming to?

Purple - great color and what better book to read than Harold and the Purple Crayon? Now that's a classic.

Poetry - To have great poets, there must be great audiences, too - Walt Whitman

The best craftsmanship always leaves holes and gaps ... so that something that is not in the poem can creep, crawl, flash, or thunder in - Dylan Thomas

an original poem:
Tools to Trade

nefarious needle nose pliers
defy manipulation
like wielding chop sticks
clumsy hands contort

hammer never hits the nail
random finger mashed
polka dotted wall signals
unlevel level usage

left-handed skill set
never garnered praise
proof in writing
blue inked smear


Poison P -Puff adder. This venomous snake warns by inflating its body and hissing loudly. It will stand its ground and not flee. Rudyard Kipling books encountered the puff's cousin - the saw scaled viper in Rikki-Tikki-Tavi.

4 comments:

  1. Loved the poem, A great P Post.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I love the book 'Harold and the Purple Crayon!' and great color purple as well! It's my second favorite color! :)
    Fun p trivia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, one of my problems with walls is the placing of pictures on the walls. They always look rather more perpendicular than horizontal as they should. Great poem. I learned the best way to hold pliers when I was working on the sub-assembly line at Magnavox in Tennessee. If you turn them so that the point is turned downward and the handles are turned up in your hand, they work better. BTW, I live in Texas, too, in the Dallas area. Best regards to you. Ruby aka Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Rikki-Tikki Tavi, I suppose more than I knew because just today, I was told I write like Kipling. Who do you write like? http://iwl.me/
    Kate
    http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete