I've heard that in large companies when people are stuck in meetings, they play a game of buzzword bingo. Score points for hearing "synergy" or "multi-task".
I work for a very small company. It consists of the owner (gone most of the time) and three other guys (all in their thirties), plus me - the lone female sitting on the opposite side of the room. A huge majority of time, I tune out my co-workers' blather. After eight years, I know what they are going to say on what topic. Am I bored? Yes.
Last Friday, I mentally played BINGO and filled out my sheet as they hit the usual topics:
1. Car parts for projects. One guy has been re-working his rock crawler, the other his VW bus, and the other guy keeps looking at wheels. Long discussion on axles - snore city.
2. Super hero argument. The big quote "What's the point of Daredevil?" Fifteen minute debate of pros and cons
3. Pause to watch, yet again, a new Star Wars trailer. This is a daily occurrence. I've stopped getting up from my chair.
4. Star Trek references and a reading of some Scottie quotes. That highlighted lunchtime
I had B-I-N-G and then nothing. They veered off on tangents -discussion of weekend activities, a cute kid story.
It was late in the day when I could mentally stamp O and shout BINGO
5. Guns and ammo. All I can say is "please shoot me now" when they get on this discussion.
Fortunately I completed my last report, gathered mail, and waved goodbye to another week.
How's your workplace bingo? Do you hear the same thing week in and week out? Let me know your key topics - how quickly can you stamp the card in one day?
Have a great weekend everyone.
Quilt Block with Family Ties
4 hours ago