Thursday, May 28, 2015

Movie Madness: Mad Max -Fury Road


It’s been quite a while since George Miller directed the early Mad Max movies. They were original in regards to  post-apocalyptic conditions, and a view of mankind’s fate. Now he brings Mad Max: Fury Road to the screen and it’s a non-stop two hour car chase of horror.  My head hurts. I can’t say I hated the movie completely, but I cannot recommend it. The effects and filmmaking are terrific – conditions are bleak and the desert is compellingly stark. The key word is survival. That’s what people are doing, as they work at the Citadel for the man they worship – Joe. How this man got the power? Not sure. He’s harnessed the water. He controls crops. He has a special group of girls who are the breeders. Otherwise, the gas boys, et al are the grunts – practically part of the elaborate machinery, the cogs and wheels  - that run the place.  

Max (a brooding Tom Hardy) still has flashbacks to kids and people he couldn’t save before. Now independent, he’s captured by Joe’s gang, but manages to escape when that group chases Furiosa (Charlize Theron). She’s managed to help the breeder girls escape and she’s hoping to find a memory of green land – a safe haven. So Max is on board her war rig and they flee through the desert with non-stop war machines assaulting them. There is no break. There is no stop for reflection. There is no humor whatsoever in this film.  

I’ve read where this is a feminist manifesto, and yes plenty of girl power is shown, and yet I don’t see the point. Maybe if there’s another Mad Max flick, I’d like to see where the women have changed the war mentality, not joined it. I’m afraid I would not fare well in an apocalyptic future as demonstrated by Mad Max: Fury Road. My husband said the movie needed a narrator…it needed something. All we need now is some aspirin and silence.

 

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I thought it was brilliant and one of the best action adventure films to come along in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to it, but both Ray and I looked at each other as we came out of the theater and shrugged.

      Delete
  2. I'll watch this one when it comes out on Demand. I kinda dig the elaborate machinery cogs and wheels. I'll turn the volume down.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at home, you can pause, create your own narration, get something to eat, and rejoin the flick. Hope you like it.

      Delete
  3. I'm laughing, in an "I'm sorry you made the sacrifice and you clearly hated it even though you're being so nice and respectful." I'm certain I'd feel like you, not Alex, if I saw it. But to each his/her own.

    Hope you're well, and sans headache, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more headache and I wanted to like it........but.....I respect Alex's opinion and was even going by his review a week earlier. It had me psyched.

      Delete
  4. So...if I hear you correctly (and I think I do)...this isn't a "feel-good" flick?
    Maybe I'll check out that Clooney flick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you did read me right - the future is not bright in Mad Max times. Hope you can use a weapon. I don't think a pen will cut it.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you had such a bad time. Maybe if you'd seen it at the drive-in you could have at least controlled the volume :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby and #1 son went to see it, and loved it. It wasn't my kind of film. But those 'meh' films make the good experiences even better!

    ReplyDelete