Thursday, May 21, 2015

Movie Review Madness: Pitch Perfect 2


Pitch Perfect was a small summer movie that snuck into big buck success after word of mouth. Now Pitch Perfect 2 is bigger, but still has that “small” movie appeal. Music mashups, competition, graduation, and Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy. What more do you need in a movie? First there’s Muffgate – a shocking screwup when the Barden Bellas perform in front of the President and First Lady. The award winning acapella group are banned from further competition, cannot recruit new members, and are in shame at the college. But, a new girl does get in as a legacy (her mother belonged). Then the ladies figure out a loop hole to get into world’s. Oh the hijinks ensue.  

But can they find their sound again, their soul? Anna Kendrick keeps being psyched out by Das Sound Machine, the scary German group. In their first performance back the Bellas have too much going on to mask their insecurities. A country retreat has the girls at bare bones working together as  a team and they keep building their sound. Meanwhile Anna’s interning for a music producer. She’s demonstrating that there’s more to life than the Bellas – time to grow and move into the world. 

Onward to Copenhagen and the world championships. What will they sing? Did they find that creative spark? Maybe a new tune altogether? Pitch Perfect 2 is sheer joy and fun and good music. You’ll laugh out loud, your feet will want to dance, and you’ll enjoy the mash-up production numbers. I’m shaking my head now at the thought of Rebel Wilson – she is fearless in her comedic delivery and so perfect in pitch. Go support the ladies in this summer time testosterone fueled field (Avengers, Mad Max,etc). The music battlefield is tough.

 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds well worth it. I like a movie with good music. Thanks, Joanne.

    Happy Thursday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really fun one! I'd like to see it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really can't see me liking this one. Don't get me wrong. I'm not exactly the champion of good taste. For instance, I loved that campfire farting scene in 'Blazing Saddles.' Nobody would ever confuse me for being sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay Al - prob. more of a "chick" flick. The majority of the theater was women

      Delete
  4. I didn't see the first "Pitch Perfect", but we saw previews of this sequel when we went to the movies a couple months ago, and it definitely looks like something I'd enjoy. Good to know you liked it. Hmmm, Smarticus may not know it, but I believe I see a watching of this movie in our future...

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey - you get what you want for anniversary - a movie is a fun date.

      Delete
  5. I actually watched a bit of the first one earlier this week. I'm not really a fan of all those singing competitions on TV... but I'm starting to crush on Anna Kendrick so I thought I'd watch it for 20 mins or so. Wasn't bad. Might even watch it again sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the first movie, and this also sounds like a fun chick flick! Rebel Wilson always cracks me up!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too really liked the first one so I'm glad you're reporting that No 2 is also up to the mark - I do find Rebel Wilson hilarious - so will no doubt be seeing this when my DD returns shortly from her gap year abroad :) Have a great weekend :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete