Monday, September 17, 2018

Book Review - The Book of Polly


The Book of Polly by Kathy Hepinstall is a hoot.  This book has Southern flair, a dynamo heroine, and a unique family.   I chuckled out loud multiple times, and was also surprised at very simple twists and turns.  I think the cover blurb gives you the full flair and gist of the book:

Ten year-old Willow Haven is obsessed with the fear that her mother, Polly, will die. Polly – a take-no-prisoners Southerner who lives to drink margaritas and antagonize the neighbors in their small Texas town – was in her late fifties when Willow was born. Willow knows she’s here by accident, and she is desperate for clues about all that preceded her, especially Polly’s secret past.  The Book of Polly is a hilarious and bittersweet story about the grip of love in a truly quirky family – it’s a page turning battle royale…where the weapon of choice is love.

A friend lent me this book. I recommend you look for it in your library or, what the heck, find it on Amazon. It’s got heart and humor – a fun summer read.  Enjoy!




7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a book not to be missed. Unusual storyline but so interesting.

    Have a good week.
    Yvonnne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious? Chuckled out loud? This sounds like just what I need. (But, OY!!! Having a baby in one's late fifties??? I was physically incapable of such a feat, but if I hadn't been, the idea of still having a young child in the house at my age? I'm sorry, but the very thought makes me shudder!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and it makes the mother shudder too - adds to the laughter and attitude in the book. Trust me - funny

      Delete
  3. Well, I think I'll go to the library's website and request it right now. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete