Sunday, September 11, 2016

Irving Penn - Photography Exhibit

I talked Ray into taking me to the Dallas Museum of Art. We needed some culture (he didn't know it!) It was the last day for Irving Penn  Beyond Beauty and the exhibit was worth the drive. Back in the day, Mr. Penn's photos popped from the pages of Vogue. He had an elegant eye for beauty and iconic fashion portraits. This exhibit was organized by the Smithsonian American Art Museum and featured over 140 photographs from 1930s to the 2000. He died in 2009 at the age of 92.

He traveled everywhere and again brought a distinct look to his pictures of people in their native state. Street scenes, still lifes, and private studio images rounded out the show.

Excellent exhibit - beyond beauty indeed.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - fascinating ... I hadn't heard of him - wish I lived nearer and could visit! But I'll keep my eyes open for his name at any exhibition or show ... I'm glad you got to go ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an amazing day you had. I love looking at similar things.
    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people sure have an eye to really catch everything

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you guys went, sounded like a great exhibition.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised I haven't heard of him either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fashion mags and movie stars. He covered both

      Delete
  6. Sounds lovely and fascinating. Ray is lucky to have you looking out for him. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an exquisite picture - with all the patterns, and the long hall/walkway behind her.
    I'm glad you two shared that experience, especially today. Thank you, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His photos are so clear. Black an white with shades of gray

      Delete
  8. The exhibition sounds fascinating. I love B/W photos, more intriguing and mysterious than full colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that photo in your blog post so I know I'd love the rest of his work.

    ReplyDelete