Friday, September 30, 2016

Movie Review Madness - The Magnificent Seven

Yes, 1960 had Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson headlining a western. That was a long time ago and you can watch it on any classic movie channel. But there’s nothing wrong with rounding up a new herd of actors and bringing The Magnificent Seven to the big screen again. Director Antoine Fuqua lends a sweeping touch to glorious scenery. He throws a ton of firepower, stunt shooting, and riding, and oh no – a Gatling gun to the showdown. He gives each man a solid role, sharp dialogue, and a chance to squint into the sun as he reflects on his fate.

Denzel Washington lends the gravitas necessary for Sam Chisolm, the bounty hunter. Ethan Hawke is a twitchy former Confederate soldier. Chris Pratt is the slick cardsharp gunslinger, and Vincent D’Onofrio is the grizzled coot. Byung-hun Lee, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, and Martin Sensmeier fill in the final seven. I read somewhere that it’s the United Benetton Western.  Peter Sarsgaard is the slimy villain who owns the mine and wants to run roughshod over the neighboring town and steal all of the land. Boo hiss


The seven choose to tilt against windmills and fight for the little guy. They help the townsfolk with their pitchforks and rifles and vow to save the women and children. It’s a noble fight and entertaining. The Magnificent Seven won’t be considered a classic, but it’s a popcorn worthy movie. Round ‘em up and head to the theater. 

19 comments:

  1. Popcorn movies are sometimes all we need, even if it is another in a countless line of remakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw previews for this and it looked good. I never saw the original, so will try to catch this one.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's difficult to reconstruct such a classic movies. I was always a big Steve McQueen fan. Glad it was enjoyable though.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, but for their target audience today - those kids have no clue about Steve McQueen (alas!)

      Delete
  4. I LOVED the original movie, and was annoyed to hear anyone was even considering messing with it by doing a remake. Even so, we thought about going to see it on opening day, but didn't. The paper said it was 2 1/2 hours long, and I didn't want to risk going to anything that long without seeing the reviews first. Well, the reviews here kinda panned the movie. Said the writing was poor, and too much politics snuck its way into the movie, so I told Smaritcus I wasn't interested in seeing it. Now, you tell me THIS. Crapola. Decisions, decisions.

    Have you watched the TV version of "Lethal Weapon?" That's another movie I loved, so I was dubious, but much to my surprise, I think the TV show is terrific. Ya just never know...

    Take care, and have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind we pay $5 for movies. Pretty cheap. I was entertained and Ray found it worthy. Maybe we are too easy

      Delete
  5. I'm not a big fan of Westerns, so I'll probably skip this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every so often a decent western is fine. Not a steady diet. I had read where Chris Pratt was fearful of riding. He acted fine!

      Delete
  6. I've been a fan of D'Onofrio for awhile now. I'm not sure I'd see this one. I don't really like it when Hollywood remakes classic films. And anyway, when I see 'Magnificent Seven' I think of the Clash song first. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joanne - thanks for this ... it's not something I think I'll enjoy - but I'm sure many will be entertained and so often that is why we go to the cinema - as you two did ... and enjoyed it, that is what counts ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recall the original version but have not seen the new one. It sounds to be just as good.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear it was enjoyable. I've definitely been wondering about this. I'm a fan of the occasional western having been raised on the old spaghettis...not to mention the host of fantastic actors. I think I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you like it. I hate to steer someone wrong

      Delete
  10. I haven't seen the original, and this one hasn't really appeared on my radar. I'm completely out of the loop on what's being released at the moment.

    ReplyDelete