Saturday, March 10, 2012

Weekend Reading

All memorable events ... transpire in morning time and in a morning atmosphere - Henry David Thoreau - Morning is when I am awake and there is a dawn in me.

I was eating a half grapefruit for breakfast today, but contemplating life. I thought about mornings as a kid and fighting over cereal boxes to read. It's been a long time since I actually looked at the back of cereal boxes - what are kids reading these days? Cheerios features a message about the USO. Very nice and noble.

Aaah - a favorite and I'll show my age. I remember when it was SUGAR Frosted Flakes. Tony the Tiger is still the star on the front, but they've gone serious on the back with a health message. What? Where's the puzzle or jungle adventure tale?

Kids don't care about nutrition, and c'mon, it's still corn flakes with a sugarfied coating. I was rather disappointed in this box.


Hooray for Cap'n Crunch - still so sweet your teeth will ache. Still leaves a sugary film in your final drops of milk. Best of all a cartoon-like message. The big kid in my house (husband Ray) loves the Crunch and it's a weekend treat. Do any cereals still have little booklets inside, puzzles, or games? My vocabulary was boosted by cereal treasure maps. So much for my weekend reading adventure. Back to the Dallas Morning News.


It's completely usual for me to get up in the morning, take a look around, and laugh out loud - Barbara Kingsolver

1 comment:

  1. It's been so long since I read the back of a cereal box that I haven't a clue what's there. This was interesting. The mom in me likes the idea of a worthwhile lesson there. The kid in me wants the puzzle or game.

    ReplyDelete