Tuesday, May 15, 2012

New York: Buildings

 New York architecture is intricate - large-scaled and yet highly detailed. Best to walk with someone down the street and take turns gazing, while the other person steers. Here's the New York Public Library with the famous lions standing guard. The docent tour offers a lot of behind the scenes information, and is mind boggling for any author/reader/lover of books.
 Best FREE ride - the Staten Island Ferry. Shuffle on and stand or take a seat for thirty minutes to Staten Island. Get off, turn around, and get back on (security reasons for not staying on the same ferry). The ride back allows you to wave to the Statue of Liberty, see Ellis Island, and admire the new evolving skyline. It was a very overcast day, but the World Trade Center is standing tall and the whole site bustles with construction for the new memorial.
 We were walking toward the WTC site, down a narrow pedestrian alley. I looked up and managed to capture this dizzying perspective. There's a poem here somewhere. I need to contemplate the geometry and put pen to paper.
 Over to SoHo in search of a yummy lunch (we found a small tearoom in a chocolate shop), then walked in and out of nifty stores. Again, just strolling down the street offers eye candy.
One morning I sauntered over to the Museum of Modern Art. Alas, they had a private event, so it was closed to the public. However, further down the street I spied this tiny door. No sign. I have no idea what it led to, but I'll come up with something in a story or poem someday.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. I really want to go to New York one day, this post has made me want to go NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That library looks awesome! I have never been to NYC, but I'd love to go sometime. I nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award. You can stop by my blog, Gone Gardening, to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete