Monday, November 12, 2018

Movie Review Madness - Bohemian Rhapsody


The first time I heard the song Killer Queen on the radio, I perked up my ears. This was a new and different sound and the lead singer’s voice soared effortlessly.  1970 – Freddie Mercury (lead singer), Brian May (guitar), Roger Taylor (drums), and John Deacon (bass guitar) formed Queen. The rest is another chapter in rock history. The film Bohemian Rhapsody brings the Queen story to life, and actor Rami Malek embodies the heart and soul of Freddie Mercury. He’s uncanny (and should be up for an Oscar).

I’ve read other reviews that say this film follows the usual rock story – struggling musicians, the big success, the excesses, the inevitable clashes, the egos, and the break-up/ final triumphs. Well, yeah – I’m very fine with that. Mercury was an outsider, in London with immigrant parents. He was always seeking his father’s approval, but knew he was different – meant to be a performer. And when he opened his mouth (his very unusual overbite mouth) – the voice of an angel emerged. Forming Queen – a group of misfits – the band explored and went beyond the norm. Their album, Night at the Opera, was groundbreaking. Bohemian Rhapsody, the song, was six minutes. What radio would play that? What are they singing? Is it gibberish? And operatic?

I enjoyed the film, the music, and Freddie’s story. He found true love early, but then strayed –confused, caught up in excess, but inherently lonely. The band was his family. And he did contract AIDS, was aware that his life was going to be cut short. He rallied the band back together to play Wembley stadium in England for Live Aid. Talk about taking a final curtain call – this was a performance for the ages. We are the Champions, We Will Rock You, Somebody to Love, and on and on.  Bohemian Rhapsody will stir you, make you want to stomp your feet and clap, and frankly sing-a-long like Wayne and Garth in a car.

15 comments:

  1. Heard it is a good one indeed. Will give it a go at our feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially loved "We Are The Champions" a great group indeed ......and British.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see it! I was in 5th grade when Killer Queen came out and it's still one of my all time fave songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like it too. That one and You're My Best Friend

      Delete
  4. Hi Joanne - it's on here and I'm going to go this pm ... looking forward to it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went today and it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!!!! I agree. It's one I could watch again

      Delete
  6. Me too - just got back ... and I really enjoyed it - and at times had tears streaming down ... he really did seem like a truly nice guy - as his parents had raised. I went on a visit to the UK from South Africa and landed the day Live Aid was on ... I did manage to catch a little on the tv ... but it's one thing I wished I'd seen the whole thing through ...

    Great - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed it, and yes he did seem like just a bloke who could sing and he had a heart. I have the DVD of the Live Aid concert. It's fun to watch and Queen really brought the house down.

      Delete
    2. I probably need to see it ... cheers Hilary

      Delete
  7. We saw this over the weekend too. I loved it! Their music is fantastic and unlike anything before them. The band's story was both moving and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great! We recently re-watched the movie "The Doors," and as much as I LOVE the soundtrack and all of their music, the downward spiral of Jim Morrison's self-destructive life is painful to watch. Sounds kinda similar to what Freddie Mercury went through. Why do some of the greatest musicians go down that path...? Rhetorical question. This sounds like another movie worth watching. I KNOW the soundtrack will be great!

    ReplyDelete