Tuesday, January 4, 2011

King's Speech Kick-off for 2011

I have joined a gym, where I have lifted as much as 6.5 pounds. Let's see what happens next. Author Gary Shteyngart

To improve my painting, a recent hobby for which I have no natural aptitude whatsoever. Author Tom Rachman

Go to the movies and create reviews. Writer, Joanne Faries

Resolutions and goals for 2011 - nah! I've decided this year to just roll with it. Write, edit, write more, send it out, accept, reject, edit, send it out again. Poetry, flash fiction, short stories, work on my (I think) crappy novel (obviously there is a goal to improve the garbage). Enjoy the process, and the happy brain dance when some words flow and you do think, "Hmm, that ain't bad."

Plus, attend movies and write reviews for The Little Paper of San Saba. I'm not paid. I'm barely edited. I only see what I want to see. Thus generally the reviews are positive because I've proven myself correct in choosing something decent for my two hours and four dollars. Let's kick off 2011 with a winner:

No, you don't have to adjust your ears. Your first encounter with actor Colin Firth, as the Duke of York, is painfully awkward. He's assigned a speech to a huge audience and his horrible stammer is excruciating. You wince, you cringe, and you wonder how the duke could ultimately become King George VI, the man who carried England through WWII and inspired his people with ...yes, speeches.

Well, go see The King's Speech, and witness what I consider an Oscar worthy performance. Firth plays Prince Albert who's happily married and father to Princess Elizabeth (now the current reigning monarch) and Princess Margaret. But his stammer keeps him in the background of royal life. The movie presents various doctors' suggestions for a cure. All to no avail. Finally his wife (Helena Bonham Carter) finds a peculiar Australian, Mr.Logue, who seems to have a knack for speech therapy. Played by Geoffrey Rush, the odd man offers a fitting contrast to the pompousity of royalty. His methods work and a friendship grows.

The movie slowly taps into the childhood struggles, the overbearing father - King George V, and the shining star of a brother who renounces the throne to marry Wallis Simpson (twice divorced American - shocking). No wonder poor Bertie stammered. Amidst the backdrop of history, we share Albert's torture and pray for him to succeed. We see how much he cares for England and its peoples, and how fate got it right. Albert becoming George VI was absolutely perfect for the times. His stammer actually kept him a bit humble, and he grew into his leadership.

The King's Speech is not action packed adventure. It's character driven, well written, and superbly acted by every well known English actor on the planet. Each performance is a gem. This is why I go to the movies.

And now I roll up my sleeves, open a fresh page in Word, and blast any roadblocks hindering my progress toward my lack of goals/resolutions. Happy 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment