Friday, April 20, 2018

Rude

R = Rude

I've been just shadowing the A to Z - not doing official posts.  But here's my Friday R contribution.

In this day and age, a certain someone (sadly) has been a HUGE influence on proper decorum. Now I'll admit, maybe I'm just not in step with 2018 morals, accepted behavior, and current code of conduct.  That's fine by me. I do not participate in Twitter, and from what I read in sound bites, I'm judging it as appalling. This is strictly MY opinion. I'm not a hot demographic - I'm not in the "base"  (thank goodness - again, my opinion).  But, I personally cannot see where total rudeness wins. Why be ugly just to be ugly?

Anyway, here are some quotes that I felt applied to the topic of Rudeness:

All words are pegs to hang ideas on - Henry Ward Beecher 1887

A Deluge of Words, and a Drop of Sense - Thomas Fuller 1732

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become, the the hands of one who knows how to combine them - Nathaniel Hawthorne 1847

All our words from loose using have lost their edge - Ernest Hemingway  1932

You can stroke people with words - F. Scott Fitzgerald  1945

A word out of season may mar a whole life  - saying (Greek)

Have a super good weekend, and ponder what you say, what you read, and how you interpret words.

Take care, my friends




20 comments:

  1. As most of us online know, one word can destroy everything.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quotes you chose. I also don't understand how rudeness has somehow become something that others admire or strive to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I think we are of the same general mindset. Have a good weekend

      Delete
  3. Words can build up or destroy. We have to choose them carefully. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That final Greek quote, I find very powerful.
    Thanks, Joanne.
    Have a really relaxing weekend full of only pleasant or no words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. That's a good goal. Back at you, my friend

      Delete
  5. Hi Joanne - love the quotes ... words are so important when used ... silence is often golden - though mighty difficult to hold! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, as bloggers, we respect words and how we present our thoughts and ourselves. Take care

      Delete
  6. Words sure can make or break. Be a rhyming cat and they work though lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose it all boils down to "Think Before You Speak".
    Good quote Joanne.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much. Hope you've been well this weekend

      Delete
  8. Agree totally! Love all the quotes, but the one from Hemingway love the most...didn't realise you were doing a shadow A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I've just popped in on my usual days - M-W-F and used the letter of the day. Very random

      Delete
  9. I think it's the anonymity of social media that makes people think they can say what they want - they don't seem to care about other people's feelings, just that they won't get caught having that opinion. No one would say half the things in real life that I see on Twitter regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed, the dynamics of communication have changed (not always for the better)

      Delete
  10. There is a great deal of anger that's driving people these days and they take it out on others through the anonymity of the internet. And now it's spilling over to regular life when you are out and about. SO much rudeness. I loathe Twitter. And the news media. Can't trust any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to weigh the information. I still think there are reliable sources out there, and folks who are reporting for "the good".

      Delete