Friday, July 17, 2020

Jubilee Theater - How I Got Over....streaming style

I've written about the Jubilee Theater in Fort Worth before. They feature black performers, and original shows with a message - very positive - Black Lives Matter.

In this case, How I Got Over, has a 1968 story with a back drop of gospel music. It's a fantastic production with superb actors and fabulous voices. And when the show had to stop live performances, they got on board with streaming. I jumped at the chance and enjoyed a Friday night in the comfort of my own office computer.  It was way beyond worth the twenty dollar ticket.

It's an Easter Sunday, 1968, and MLK has just been killed. The background involves protest (gee, sound familiar - do we ever learn?) and Niecy has returned to her hometown church. She's greeted warmly by some and suspiciously by others - Mama ain't happy. Lots of underlying family tension, and Niecy has to defend herself for making a stand.  Praise for some old church tunes - Precious Lord, Move On Up a Little Higher, His Eye Is on the Sparrow, and When the Saints Go Marching In.

This is a high energy, hand clapping, foot stomping, soul stirring show.  (show blurb)
I agree and I've always loved and supported the talent at this theater. I sure hope they can stay afloat and keep bringing us musical theater that matters.

Support your local town arts however you can!

14 comments:

  1. I love how theatre has adapted the best they could. The National Theatre was/is (not sure) streaming a new play once a week - we watched a few, a couple were more suited to seeing it live.

    How I Got Over sounds like it was perfectly timed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. the sound needs work and I sent them an email. They are aware and trying to correct it for the next show. I really want them to survive.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Joanne, it's good that theatres are "Putting on plays " like this.
    Enjoy your weekend, and keep well.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fingers crossed that they can adapt. I know how much you like music and you would enjoy these productions a lot. Great voices

      Delete
  3. This is awesome, and I'm glad you partook from the comforts of home, Joanne. I bet the music is out-of-this-world.

    Keep enjoying a good, safe, fun-packed life, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trying to support the arts. It brings comfort and joy to me. That's for sure. You stay safe too

      Delete
  4. This is good
    Hope you are having a great weekend?
    Thank you for sharing
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2020/07/long-sleeve-grey-bodycon-mini-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanne - I can believe it's an excellent way to be in some way creative and keep the performers using their skills, as well as help them with some income. Equally it wouldn't be as good as the real thing ... but I'm sure we all understand life isn't normal - and we need to adapt - which you obviously are doing. So glad you were able to enjoy seeing it ... and update us on the process - stay safe ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and I"m sure as the UK opens up, you are seeing adaptations for the arts. Meanwhile, please keep meandering and reporting - always fun.

      Delete
  6. It's great that they could carry this off through the magic of the internet. Sounds like a good way to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. folks need to keep some money rolling in - On line ticketing helps. And they are working out the kinks in the streaming process.

      Delete
  7. Great to know your local artistes are keeping the shows on, and they are being supported by community members like you...Performing arts have been hit so hard by the pandemic in my country. It's saddening how many artistes/performers/creative people are struggling right now. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly and I'd hate for them to lose any funding at all. They have to show they are viable. It's all quite sad - here and around the world, no doubt.

      Delete