Monday, February 19, 2024

Monday Moments - American Fiction movie


 What better way to celebrate President's Day than with a movie satire. American Fiction is fire! 

Thelonious "Monk" Ellison (the brilliant Jeffrey Wright)  is an African American upper class writer and professor. His novels are praised by not widely sold. Newcomer Sintara Golden (Issa Rae) panders to black stereotypes with We's Live in Da Ghetto and that irks Monk to no end. 

The man has money troubles and he writes a ridiculous cliche book - deadbeat dads, gang violence, drugs and he calls it Fuck  (sorry by me for using the word) - just asking for trouble.  It goes on (spoiler alert) to win awards.  

There are SO many conflicting issues going on in this movie and it's well done. I'm not explaining it well, but trust me this is worth watching.  I laughed out loud, cringed, and well...so much of the situations for black writers, educators, performers are darn too true. This movie makes you think, laugh, and appreciate the acting. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanne - a film I'd enjoy seeing ... but for now it's not on my radar - except I'll remember finding it here ... thanks - HIlary

    ReplyDelete