Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Movie Review - Baby Driver

Ansel Elgort is Baby – an innocent young man listening to music in his car. But wait, it’s a getaway car and as 1994s “Bellbottoms” blares, Baby revs the engine and the bank robbers get away. Baby Driver is a very fun running on all cylinders heist movie with a killer soundtrack.  See, Baby has tinnitus from a long ago accident that killed his parents. He keeps the music playing as he lives life and drives for bad people. He’s been indebted to Doc (Kevin Spacey) and he’s working to pay back money. Once he’s free, he plans on escaping. He meets a waitress (the lovely Lily James) who steals his heart. But he can’t seem to escape this criminal element. Jamie Foxx is psychotic. Jon Hamm is crazy. This would be a very generic car chase/bank robber movie without the whole cast.


Director Edgar Wright’s jukebox thrill ride (Time 7/10/17) absolutely works on another level. Every chase – on foot or by car is precise. It’s seedy and slick and energetic and bold. Baby Driver is why we go to the movies  in a theater to witness a film on the BIG screen. Eat popcorn, slurp a soda, and chuckle at the humor, wince at the pain, and root for Baby. Ansel Elgort is growing up and he’s convincing as a bad good boy. We know he’ll be redeemed by love and drive into the sunset with his gal. What song will be playing? Speed to the theater and find out. Vroom, vroom. 

13 comments:

  1. Sure getting good reviews all around, except for maybe the dumb title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music and its timing with the action was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like a fun movie to watch. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done this one justice. I'm inclined to race to the theatre for it. It sounds really fun. And Jamie Foxx is a clear pick for a raging psychopath.

    Thanks, Joanne. I hope all's great in your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. It's hard R for violence, but it's movie excess violence - over the top. The whole cast is great. Cheers to you!

      Delete
  5. Although I don't go to movies I love to read the reviews. This one sure sounds good.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, everyone in my house loved it. I have not seen it. I might have said no, or I might not have been asked - I don't recall :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initiate movie going. My husband goes along on action, etc. I will see arty ones on my own. You need to keep your ears perked.

      Delete
  7. My husband and sons saw this one and really liked it, but I opted not to attend as it isn't my favorite genre. I'll probably catch it later on DVD or Netflix. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete