Monday, August 24, 2020

Monday Mix

 Cracked up at this meme. 

When you have mastered the numbers, you will in fact no longer be reading numbers, any more than you read words when reading a book. You will be reading meanings - Harold Geneen on Managing

So, what is the meaning of me spending approximately twenty hours of my life watching the two seasons of The Umbrella Academy on Netflix and still not necessarily understanding what the heck is going on ?


Falstaff: Good luck lies in odd numbers..  Shakespeare The Merry Wives of Windsor 1600

Three is an odd number and, believe me, Ray and I do not miss our three meals a day. And on the weekends, you can throw in maybe three snacks too!

Three is also the amount of reading material I have on a continuing basis - fiction, non-fiction, and a magazine.   Today I am reading The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. It's a well researched study of the Great Migration - blacks leaving the south during the Jim Crow years and settling in the north. I also have her latest, Caste, in my pile.   Fiction -  Amazon just delivered Chances Are by Richard Russo. It's the book club pick for my PA ladies. I shall read it poolside.  And I'm perusing an Artist's Magazine - some talented folks are featured. I finished my latest New Yorker Magazine on Friday. 

13 - that's the age folks might think I am if they looked at my latest music mix-tape - all pop singing boys with dreamy hair and soulful eyes. 

666 - what's a little Satanic demon influence?   Rosemary's Baby, The Omen  (Gregory Peck version of course), The Exorcist - three of the creepiest scariest movies in my viewing career. 

2020  - 'nuff said

Have a good week and yes, I'll share a bag of Cheetos with you. It's snack time, any time. 





10 comments:

  1. Great post Joanne, Yes! save a bag of cheeto's for me.
    Have a good week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that meme a lot, and it still makes me smile. If we don't find the humour, things would be much tougher for us all!

    I really must read for non-fiction - but I never seem to have enough time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's a lot of good non-fiction. The books I mentioned are not dry - Wilkerson writes like fiction - bringing people's stories to life. She just has the research to back it up

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure anyone really understands The Umbrella Academy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you commented. This makes me feel much better

      Delete
  4. lmao yeah, all other numbers are left in the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanne - well done ... 13 is my lucky number ... so I'll hang on to that one ... and after 2020 - I've not even reached the tender age of 666 ... but life goes on - love the range of books and mags you're reading - and I envy you the pool!! Stay safe - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I have no problem with 13 - it can be lucky, that's for sure. You are funny! C'mon over and hang poolside with us - it's delightful and Ray keeps it pristine.

      Delete