Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Wednesday Winery and Historic Site - Belle Meade

A final bit of my summer trek. I stopped at Belle Meade just outside of Nashville TN.  What a delightful tour of thirty acres. John Harding founded this family home in 1807 with a cabin and 250 acres. He earned a living boarding horses and ultimately turned the property into one of the finest stud farms in the nation. 
The old smokehouse
Slave quarters

Mausoleum

Belle Meade is a gorgeous property and I enjoyed visiting the Carriage House, Gardener's House, Dollhouse, Ice House, Dairy, and the main mansion. The tour discusses the family history as well as the slave situation. The grand finale of the tour is a visit to the winery. I enjoyed the summer favorite - a blackberry blush. 

Sweet summer memory


 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - sounds such an interesting place ... I love how they've developed it, opening it up for the public and as a historic site. I'd love to visit - and I'd enjoy a blackberry blush ---- I feel sure! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely. I bought a bottle and shared with friends on a lovely afternoon. So summer (or anytime) refreshing. I love tours and learning about historic times. So many places to see as I roam the country.

      Delete