Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Whatever Wednesday - Serious Writing


 Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips is homework. My PA book club gang just read and discussed it. I think if I'd had my friend's note summary of characters ahead of time I would have enjoyed this book. 

The author tells us month by month, from a different female character perspective, what life is like and the sorrow and sense of loss impacted their relationship and decisions. There's a lot of disappointment, and the atmosphere is bleak. 

The book takes place in the outer reaches of Russia. The names are all tricky and I kept getting confused (my bad, my ignorance). Two young girls are kidnapped in the first chapter. From there we do meet a variety of women and hear their stories. Slowly the author pulls bits and pieces of everyone's story together. So many coincidences. Will the girls be found? Are they alive? 

You read the value of women based on the police work (or lack thereof). You read the value of ethnic characters based on the police work (or lack thereof). The author tackles a lot of issues in this book. 

The writing is excellent and Disappearing Earth is a challenge. Whew!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Joanne - this sounds very interesting and have just ordered ... having read a few books about north eastern Russia - I'll enjoy another approach. Great book club suggestion - thanks to PA! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the challenge. I have no doubt you are up to it. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. It's arrived ... now to read! It's bucketing with rain and I cancelled going out - so might settle and read a bit now ... cheers H

      Delete
    3. I shall be interested to hear your thoughts

      Delete
    4. Haven't got there yet ... but put your ref name in it ... so will at some stage get there - I just seem to do lots of Committee and organising work ... and so never much want to settle and read - but could easily take six months away to just read - then I'd miss the blog ... life?! Happy PA time ... xo Hilary

      Delete
  2. I'll leave those challenges to more intellectual minds like yours, Joanne. It does sound like too much homework for this gal.
    Be well and enjoy these pre-Halloween days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This one beat me down. But fun book club zoom chat with PA pals gave me a better appreciation. Some stuff just clicks. Happy Pumpkin days to you.

      Delete