Sunday, January 17, 2010

Who is a Hero?

"Who is a hero? I was not. I was just an ordinary housewife and secretary," said Miep Gies in a 1997 interview. (Associated Press) She considered it her human duty to help hide the Frank family during World War II. Unfortunately, the family was ultimately discovered and sent to concentration camps. But, left behind in their tiny quarters was The Diary of Anne Frank.

Miep Gies found it and returned it to Anne's father, Otto, after the war. Anne died in the camps but thankfully her words were able to survive, be published, translated, and forever remembered. The diary is a tale of dreams, worries, concerns, angst, love, family, and hope. At a time of true despair, it registered hope for the future.

Strong and powerful, The Diary of Anne Frank is a classic and plain and simple - a darn good read for any age at any time.

Miep Gies died at the age of 100 this past week, a quiet unassuming hero.

1 comment:

  1. A nice tribute, Joanne. Those two words, "human duty" are so powerful. Makes me evaluate my own life. They make me ask what opportunities I might have today to fulfill my human duty.

    ReplyDelete