Thursday, February 7, 2013

No More Ironing

In 1935, Parker Brothers introduced the game Monopoly, based on the streets of Atlantic City, NJ. The player tokens were the iron, race car, shoe, thimble, top hat, wheelbarrow, battleship, and Scottie dog.

Now in 2013, the iron is OUT, and a cat token clawed its way to victory. In a Facebook vote, fans chose the cat over a robot, diamond ring, helicopter, and guitar. Neck and neck in elimination were the wheelbarrow, shoe, and iron. I think I would have voted for the guitar or robot. Apparently a social media war broke out with Zappos pushing shoes, and a garden toolmaker, Ames True Temper Inc, created on-line videos for the wheelbarrow. Sadly, in these days of wash and wear and permanent press, no one came to the iron's defense.
R.I.P.





On a completely different note, Sherry Ellis at Gone Garden  http://gonegarden.blogspot.com gave me a cute award. I met Sherry during the April A-Z Blog challenge and have enjoyed her posts since then. Thanks Sherry for this award. 


2 comments:

  1. My husband took my advice and bought cotton shirts recently. Duh! They have to be ironed. They look terrible otherwise. I should bite my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, unfortunately for the iron, it seems to have become obsolete.

    You are welcome for the award. It's a cute one!

    ReplyDelete